April 13, 2020
☺ Hello Families! ☺
Wow. DO WE EVER MISS YOU!
These are very strange times and we have been thinking about all of you. We miss the smiling faces of your children and tween and teenagers running into the school every day. We hope you are all feeling safe and well.
Here is some information for you about how things are going to work now that we are trying our best to deliver education while not actually inside the school.
It’s a lot of information. We have tried our best to be clear and to answer as many of the questions that you might have that we could think of.
We have done our best to be very careful while putting the packages together for your children. If you are worried about germs, you can leave the packages alone (without opening/touching all the contents) for up to 96 hours, just in case. You might leave them in a container outside or a container inside your home.
The Government of the Northwest Territories has given us some guidelines to follow about how much work to send. They are written below.
Time and Hours
If your child is in junior-kindergarten to grade 3
- They will be provided 3 hours of work each week (in blocks of two weeks)
If your child is in grades four, five or six
- They will be provided with five hours of work each week (in blocks of two weeks)
If your child is in grade 7 and up at KTW
- They will be provided with seven hours of work each week (in blocks of two weeks)
What is the work?
- All students will be given a “work packet” and all materials that they need to complete the assigned work
- Work packets will focus on math and literacy (reading, writing, speaking, viewing, and representing)
- Every “work packet” has and will be designed SPECIFICALLY for your child based on their learning this year
- Two children in the same grade might not have all of the same work- and this is because we want our kids to keep their learning going- based on “where they were” before March Break
- The first “work packet” is focused on REVIEW- everything coming home is something your child has already learned how to do- we are giving them this work to help them get back into a “school routine” after so much time off
- Literacy will include Dene Kede, Science, Social Studies, and Health
- Wellness (including ideas to keep active and healthy) will also be a focus; as part of wellness, Wiiliideh language instruction will be included (on our INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK pages)
- Your child(ren) will also be given books and other materials and supplies between now and the end of the school year. These are theirs to keep.
SAFETY and Paper Packets and Materials
- As above, we have done our best to be very careful while putting the packages together for your children. If you are worried about germs, you can leave the packages alone (without opening/touching all the contents) for up to 96 hours, just in case. You might leave them in a container outside or a container inside your home.
- If your child in in Miss Boggis’ class, their package may have items with small pieces and scissors. Please make sure your child is supervised at all times while using these items
How, When and Where
- The first set of paper- based work packets can be picked up outside the school for ALL of your children by ONE person in your family on Friday, April 17, 2020 (we will call or text and give you a timeslot)
- Miss Lamoureux and Mr Penney will be the people handing out the packages; and they will be wearing masks (we are telling you so you won’t be surprised when you show up)
- The second set of paper-based work packets can be picked up outside the school for ALL of your children by ONE person in your family on Friday, May 1, 2020 (we will call or text and give you a timeslot)
- We are working on a plan to return materials to us
- For now- (for the weeks starting April 20-May 1) please take photos of your child’s work (if you can – use a phone or ipad) and either send them to Sally or to the email address listed below
- You can also send the photo as a message to our Facebook page or Instagram page
- If this is NOT possible, please put the work in a safe place until we have a safe plan to accept the paper copies back
OFFICE Hours and Connecting Calls
- During the month of April, each Tuesday and Thursday, your child’s homeroom teacher will be available on the internet on “ZOOM” to meet with their class to do learning activities together, check in, and answer questions or give help with work or assignments
- You do NOT need an account to attend office hours, and you are WELCOME to attend with your child ☺
- Mrs Tapper has created a “HOW TO ZOOM” video- it’s posted on the school Facebook and Instagram page and has instructions
- The “ZOOM” link will be posted on the school FACEBOOK page, but can also be emailed to you if you provide an email address
- During the month of April, each Wednesday, your child’s teacher will make a “connecting call” to your home or cell phone to speak with your child- if “no caller ID” shows up on your cell phone on Wednesdays, please answer! ☺
VIDEOS and Other Ideas
- The KTW Team has been super busy planning, producing and publishing short “how to videos” for our students and families! Check them out! ☺
- You can find them if you go to our FACEBOOK PAGE – Kaw Tay Whee School
- Or our INSTAGRAM PAGE @KTW Homeschool
- And also on our school webpage www.ktw.yk1.nt.ca you will find all of these items (THANKS Mrs TAPPER!)
- PLEASE encourage your child to interact with their teachers through these platforms if you have internet available- it is really important to keep connected together as much as we can at this time
- We are continuing to work on a communication plan
- For now, if you want to contact one of us, you can text Sally, email us at email@example.com , or send us messages through the school FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM PAGES
- If you want to talk to your child’s teacher, let Sally know and they will get back to you as soon as possible
- Attached to this letter is some information from the Government of the Northwest Territories and some fun family idea
Your Child’s Belongings
- If your child has belongings in the school that they will need; we will work on a plan to get those to you
- At this time, families and students are not permitted in the school building for safety reasons
We thank you for your support during this time. This is a hard way to complete the third term of the school year, and we really miss the kids.
We know we have to do whatever it takes to keep everyone as safe and healthy as possible.
☺We miss you, we care about you, and we will all get through this together.
Miss Boggis, Miss Schurman, Mrs Digness, Sally, Mrs Tapper, Mr Penney, and Miss Lamoureux